UWA's Contact Directory is a large, publicly viewable database that presents the individual contact details and titles for all UWA staff and sections.
It also allows you to self-manage your personal and professional 'profile' details – you are the only person who can edit these – so whether you are an academic or professional staff member, you can tell your colleagues and peers who you are and what you do.
There are more than 20 key areas of information in your staff profile that you can update, including your background, any foreign languages in which you are proficient, and a link to your academic profile in Socrates. We recommend that at a minimum you include your photograph and a brief biography.
View a profile
You can search the directory for staff, students and University sections, or directly view the profile of any staff member using this format:
Just insert the person's first name, a full stop, then surname, for example:
Managing your profile
You cannot personally change various details including your name, contact details and job title; any alterations to this primary information must be done by sending a request to firstname.lastname@example.org – changes will usually be made within one or two days.
Likewise, if you have any problems and your new information has not been included, email email@example.com.
The following fields can only be updated by Directory staff in Digital and Creative Services:
- Job title
- Department name
- Phone number
- Email address
- Contact details
Editing your profile
- Access the Directory.
- Search for your name.
- When your entry is displayed, click on your name (do not click on the email address).
- Click on 'this link' from the bottom right to bring up a login screen.
- Enter your staff ID as the password (including the preceding zeros).
- Relevant details can then be added to each field. Only the fields with information completed will be displayed.
- If you include a photo of yourself, use a jpeg that is 270 pixels wide by 320 pixels tall.
- Once the entry is complete, select the 'Submit changes' button. Your new details will be updated within an hour.
If you have filled out details in your profile, this information will also appear in the Contact Directory.
This table is a guide to the various fields available in the staff profile, and the appropriate information for you to include.
- Some background about you; where you studied, your qualifications and other information.
- Roles, responsibilities and other expertise
- Lots of people include information about before they joined UWA or other positions they've held at UWA.
- Future research
- Suggest a research area or areas you're intending to examine or would like to study.
- Funding received
- For example, grants from the ARC and NMHRC.
- Industrial relevance
- 'Supreme Court for five years', 'BHP for 10 years', and so on.
- Any languages that you speak and your fluency. This can include computer languages.
- Any memberships of associations, societies or interest groups.
- Honours and awards
- Any significant honours or awards you have received.
- Previous positions
- Whatever you think people would be interested to know.
- Any patents you hold as a result of your work.
- A brief list of some of your recent publications (10-12 at the most). It can be prefaced with a short statement like 'Five books and 72 peer-reviewed papers including...'
- Subjects in which you lecture.
- Current external positions
- Any directorships or positions as professor or lecturer at another university.
- Useful links
- This might include links to the Australian Research Council if you received funding, or to a university for which you worked previously.
- New and noteworthy
- Have you recently published an award-winning article or contributed to a book?
- Current projects
- Researchers may wish to describe projects or collaborations of note.
- Personal home page
- If you have a personal website, you can link to it here. It should not attempt to replicate the UWA visual identity.
- Research fields, courses and disciplines classification (RFCD) code
- Include the relevant code.
Make sure you periodically back-up your staff profile details in a completely separate document. When someone’s entry in the Contact Directory is deleted as a result of a resignation, retirement or redundancy report, the profile page displaying research publications, qualifications and the like will also be deleted and is NOT recoverable. You should do this every time you release a new paper, receive a new grant or have any other success to avoid losing such information permanently.
Frequently asked questions
I have multiple profiles; do I need to update them separately?
Many employees work concurrently in more than one division (school, section and the like). If you have more than one research profile, you will have to update both profiles separately. If you have updated a research profile and it's not displaying immediately, check back 24 hours later to allow for inter-system syncing time to pick up your changes.
How do I change my mailbag number?
If you wish to edit your mailbag number (MBDP details) in your Contact Directory profile, login to UWA Employee Self Service (ESS) and make the change. It should be picked up overnight to display in the Directory. For assistance email ithelp-HR@uwa.edu.au.